This soup came about thanks to a bunch of broccoli hanging out in my fridge with nowhere to go. This version of broccoli-cheese soup is a little lighter than a traditional one as it has no milk or cream in it, but it’s still creamy, thanks to pureed veggies! A bowl of this broccoli-cheese soup makes a great healthy and yummy lunch for colder days!
Recipe (serves 4)
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
6 cups broccoli florets (and diced peeled stems)
1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced (you could use yellow or white potato as well)
1 carrot, sliced
1 red Thai chili (or ¼-½ tsp chili flakes), deseeded and finely chopped* (see NOTES)
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
120-150 g aged cheddar cheese, grated [or a hard cheese of your choice, I think cheddar and parmesan mixed would be great, as well as Monterey Jack, mozzarella mixed with parmesan… the options are endless! J]
1. Add 1 Tbsp oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and fry, stirring, 2-3 min.
2. Add broccoli florets, sweet potato, carrot, chili (to your taste, start with a little and add until you’re happy) and ½ tsp each salt and pepper (use less pepper if you think it will be too spicy). Stir to combine.
3. Add 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth and let simmer over medium heat until vegetables are tender, approx. 10-12 min
4. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup as smooth as you want. Grate in most of the cheese, keeping some for garnish. Stir to melt.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
6. Serve your nutritious bowl of yumminess with some grated cheese on top and a slice of your favourite bread on the side if you want (or our crackers from last week!) and enjoy!
*Be careful after handling the chili if using and don’t touch any sensitive skin for a good while after, it will burn!