My mom gave me this recipe during a visit to Sweden and since then we make sure to always keep these crackers on hand. I make almost weekly as the kids love them and since they are nut free they can take them to school! They are super delicious and so easy to throw together!
1 cup corn meal/flour (NOT corn starch)
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup ground flax seed
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
½-¾ tsp sea salt
¼ cup neutral vegetable oil (olive would probably work too but would change the flavour)
1 + 1/3 cup boiling water
Sea salt and/or sesame seeds for sprinkling on top
- Turn oven on to 325°F.
- Mix together all dry ingredients (corn meal through salt). Add oil and boiling water and mix well with a spoon to incorporate.
- Divide dough between 2 baking trays covered with parchment paper. Put parchment paper on top and spread out to a thin layer using your hands (you need to have parchment paper on top otherwise it becomes a crazy mess). Remove top parchment paper. Careful as it may be a bit hot at first, but it cools down quickly.
- Score into squares (so you can just break them apart once baked).
- Sprinkle with sea salt or sesame seeds to your liking.
- Bake at 325 for 45-60 min, or until crackers break apart easily.
- Enjoy with cheese, fruit, hummus, salsa or other dips and toppings!
If allergies are not an issue, the Bulk Barn is a great place to get most of the ingredients. Otherwise well stocked supermarkets and health food stores typically carry them as well.
If corn is an issue I’m sure you could try a mixture of other flours, but I haven’t tried as we love these!