Today I have an appetizer recipe to share with you! I first enjoyed these delicious crispy wontons at one of my favourite restaurants in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Crispy Chicken Wontons with Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
600 g ground chicken (or raw prawns, finely chopped)
1 small bunch cilantro, leaves and soft stems finely chopped
3 Tbsp oyster sauce
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 ½ tsp sugar
¼-½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 pkt wonton wrappers (found in the produce section of most grocery stores, in the refrigerators)
Approx. ¼ Cup oil
Sweet chili sauce (found in the Asian isle of most grocery stores)
1. In a large bowl combine chicken (or prawns), cilantro, oyster sauce, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well.
2. Place wontons on a clean surface and spoon teaspoonfuls of the mixture into the centre of each wrapper. Brush the edges of the wonton with a little water and form into parcels (see above for step-by-step instructions).
3. Preheat oven to 450°F.
4. Brush wontons lightly with oil.
5. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (approx. ¼ C) and wontons, not too many as you don’t want them to stick to each other. Fry wontons in batches, flat side down, then transfer to a parchment-lined cookie sheet and finish cooking in the oven for approx. 10 min, until the edges are golden and the stuffing is cooked through (chicken should no longer be pink inside, while prawns should be pink J)
6. Make ahead: You can prepare the parcels and store them in a single layer as shown above in an airtight container or covered by plastic, in the fridge until ready to cook.
7. Serve wontons with sweet chili sauce for dipping!
(makes 45-55 wontons, depending on how much filling you put in each – there are approx. 56 wonton wrappers in a package, if you use just a tsp on each wonton you should just about even out the stuffing with the wrappers)