Decadent Double Chocolate Cookies
We’re getting into Christmas mode at our house and the cookie baking is in full swing! These decadent double chocolate cookies are one of our favourites to give away during the holidays as they make a very pretty gift for teachers, school bus drivers, colleagues etc.! I say they are decadent and I really mean it, they are definitely a treat, but worth it, especially if you’re a chocolate lover with a sweet tooth!
Decadent Double Chocolate Cookie Recipe (batch makes 30-40 cookies depending on size)
½ cup unsalted butter (if salted omit ¼ tsp salt below)
300 grams bittersweet or semisweet chopped chocolate, or chocolate chips
4 eggs, left out at room temperature for approx. 1 hour
1 ½ cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
Approx. 180 grams white chocolate, chopped (this is 1 pack of Baker’s White Chocolate)
Approx. ⅔ cup icing sugar
1. In the microwave or in a ceramic or metal bowl over a pot filled with 2 inches of simmering water, melt bittersweet chocolate and butter while stirring (until just melted). Remove from heat and set aside.
2. With an electric mixer or by hand, whip eggs with sugar and vanilla, until pale and thick, 2-3 min.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Whisk melted chocolate into egg mixture until combined. Whisk in flour mixture and stir in white chocolate chunks. Cover batter with plastic and freeze for at least 4 hours before baking. NOTE: You can bake this batter in batches, keeping the remainder in the freezer, for up to a week. It gets pretty messy so is easiest to work with straight out of the freezer.
5. Preheat oven to 325 F.
6. Spoon cookie dough by teaspoonfuls and roll in icing sugar, gently shaping into a ball (it doesn’t have to be perfect as they melt down when baking) Place cookie balls on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between cookies. (You will have to work in batches)
7. Bake cookies for 18-20 minutes. To test doneness, lift a cookie off the tray – if it comes off cleanly, then cookies are done.
8. Cool cookies before storing. Cookies will keep up to a week at room temperature in an airtight container.
9. Wrap cookies into pretty gifts or enjoy with loved ones over the holidays!